Thursday, August 6, 2015

Do Not Fear the Storm

So, currently my commute to work consists of an hour walk to the bus stop in the morning. Before you all freak out, it's not as bad as it sounds. It's great prayer time and it's much needed exercise as I sit at a desk all day. Today, I walk out of the house at a little before 5, aaaannnddd it's raining. Great. 

So, I start my normal routine of praying in the Spirit as I walk. About halfway there, as all these cars are passing me I start "nudging" God with things like, "Hey, I wouldn't mind if someone gave me a ride to the bus stop today." Or maybe something a little bit more subtly manipulating, "God, I thank you for giving me a ride to the bus stop today and getting me out of this rain." 

Somewhere in here I start to see lightning and hear the thunder. I keep walking. Getting more wet by the minute. And then the most amazing thing happened. (No, I didn't get a ride. That would make this story far less interesting.) A song started coming off my lips. 

Do not fear the storm
Do not fear the storm 
You were made to rise above
You were born to overcome 
Do not fear the storm 

I sang it over and over again. As I continued to sing Holy Spirit began to speak to me and remind me about the time Jesus came to the disciples walking on the water. He was above the storm. The storm wasn't above him. The next thing he showed me absolutely floored me. He said, "Do not fear the storm, for the storm fears you." Wow! If we understood, truly understood who we are in Christ, the storms around us wouldn't bother us. 

As I was nearing the end of my morning journey, it started to downpour. Haha. I guess he wanted to see how well I had learned what he just taught me. Sure, I'm still pretty wet as it is, but it's just water and I'll dry off. And now, as I'm typing this, the rain has completely stopped. Mere minutes after I've arrived at the bus stop. It's as if when the storm could no longer touch me, it stopped. When it could no longer affect me, it stopped trying. So it is with storms in life. The longer we give the storm power, the longer it rages. But as soon as we realize who we are and stand in it unafraid, it tries one last time to regain the power of your fear (the downpour), and then stops if you stand firm. 

It's amazing to me how I was so desperate to get out of the storm this morning and now I'm glad I experienced it. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm actually thankful for the storm this morning. I've got a better picture of who I am and what I'm capable of and hopefully you do too. The only cost was some damp clothes and being willing to listen to Holy Spirit when he spoke. 

I hope this encourages you and causes you to rise above the storms in your life right now. 
Until next time, 
God bless 

No comments:

Post a Comment